Admission to bail and release for court appearance are basic concepts, but they’re woefully misunderstood. The law requires you to post bail after you’re arrested. Posting bail lets you go “free” until your court appearance. Questions: How much is bail? How do you come up with the money? How much do you pay? Do you get any back?
Bail Bonds Are Cheaper (and Easier) Than You Think
Bail amounts are set at bail hearings. A judge sets the amount according to a bail schedule for common crimes. You are required to come up with the total amount, to post bail, in order to go free until your next court appearance.
Whether you require bail bonds Tacoma WA or in any other city/state, the process is the same. If you cannot pay the full amount, you either sit in jail or seek the help of a bail bond agent. With an agent you only pay 10% of the total amount, an agent’s fees and a sheriff’s fee. The agent supplies the remaining 90% in the form of a surety bond.
What Exactly is a Surety Bond
A surety bond is an agreement between the bond agent and a private insurance company. In addition, surety bail bonds Tacoma WA must be issued by bond agents who are licensed through the Washington Department of Insurance.
Regardless of your eligibility, you or a related party must pledge collateral to cover the full amount of the bond in the event you miss a court date. Providing you don’t miss a court date, you’ll get to retain your collateral once your case is closed or dismissed.
Requirements to Obtain a Bail Bond
Specific requirements vary between states, so criteria to get bail bonds Tacoma WA are unique to Washington. In Washington you must be at least 18 years of age to sign the bail bond documents and to post bail using a bond. Once you post bond, you are typically processed out of jail within a matter of hours or sooner. You are free to move about as you please, though not to flee the jurisdiction, until your next court date.