The Glasnost was one of the most influential policies implemented during the reign of the Soviet Union in the eighties. Mikhail Gorbachev was the Soviet Union’s head at that time. He was the one who implemented the Glasnost. He did this so he would be able to see an improvement in the Soviet Union’s way of leading their territory. The years when Glasnost was implemented gave more freedom to the people to express their opinions, particularly for the media. Many people want to know the answers to the question why did Gorbachev implement Glasnost?
1. The first answer to the question why did Gorbachev implement Glasnost is because Mikhail Gorbachev wanted to implement transparency in their governance. He wanted to have an open flow of information from the citizens to the leaders. This was prompted since the tragedy in Chernobyl happened. A nuclear plant was being built in the area and the people did not report about this because they were not allowed to do so.
2. The second answer to the question why did Gorbachev implement Glasnost is because Gorbachev knew that this was an effective way to stop corruption that was very rampant at that time.
3. The third answer to the question why did Gorbachev implement Glasnost is because Gorbachev had learned that the other leaders were abusing their power. He did not know all of it because people were not allowed to express what they know.
4. The fourth answer to the question why did Gorbachev implement Glasnost is because he wanted to have a free avenue for debates. The debates would allow the citizens to ask things they wanted to verify and voice out their opinions.
5. The fifth answer to the question why did Gorbachev implement Glasnost is because he wanted to give the Soviet Union citizens the freedom to go the libraries to read books that were not open to the people before. The censorship on the media got less. The Soviet Union’s governance became more scrutinized as the media’s power became stronger. There were several problems in the society that were discovered. One of the problems that was shown in several media reports was the status of the females in the country. They were regarded as low class citizens. The exposes made the people became aware of the different atrocities happening around them.
The Glasnost policy was actually a failed move made by Gorbachev because it did not fulfill the real goals that he set. The policy led to the weakening of the sovereignty of the Soviet Union. The policy also helped free many people who were imprisoned due to political reasons.