Have you ever wondered why certain political leaders appear to be wearing Teflon, and, it appears, regardless of what that individual does, or says, his followers and supporters, continue to support him, apparently, not caring, or being adversely affected? On the other hand, sometimes, someone holding a position, ends up being blamed for everything, and, even one, minor mistake, or misstatement, becomes politically, extremely costly! Nearly every day, I overhear someone, who is not a Trump supporter, wondering, aloud, why/ how, his supporters, seem to overlook his actions and/ or statements, and continue to support and believe in, and cast him in a favorable light! This article will briefly, attempt to discuss, five, of these reasons, as to why many followers, continue to support certain political leaders, even when they aren’t fulfilling any of their empty promises.
1. Prioritizing what they want, over what actually is: Whether it is a matter of Drinking the Kool – Aid, being naive, wasteful, ineffective, or selfish, it appears, many people become so focused on believing the false spin, they actually buy, the rhetoric about the mainstream media, offering Fake News! Just because someone says it, even vehemently and often, doesn’t make it facts. In other words, a lie, by any other name, is still a lie! Consider the fact, the President has been fact – checked, and has been deemed to have lied or misstated facts, every single day, since he was elected. How would you explain the fact, there are still people who seem to believe him?
2. Convince themselves, stories they disagree with, are Fake News: While it may be normal, to, care deeply, and be passionate in one’s views, does it make any sense, to continuously overlook reality, because it doesn’t conform to one’s preferences, and/ or biases? How often will these people by the nonsense about things constantly being Fake News, while accepting fake news, and lies, as long as they agree with their position?
3. Hatred/ bias against opposition: Have you noticed that nearly every time, Mr. Trump is questioned, or feels accused, etc, he replies by bringing up his less – than – popular former political opponent, Hillary Clinton, and repeats claims which have been refuted and disputed, numerous times, but his core followers, continue to accept? When a political leader uses vitriol and rhetoric, to stir up hatred and bias, does he deserve to be in a leadership position?
4. Supports their personal beliefs/ agenda: Simply because something is what a supporter or group of supporters want, or hope for, even if they are morally, often, at odds with the principles and ideals of the American Constitution, doesn’t make it a fact! However, clever politicians, when confronted, often resort to rhetoric, which will stir the pot!
5. Easily fooled, naive, or don’t pay quality attention: We all know the adage, Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me again, shame on me! However, for example, it appears, this President’s core followers, care more about their personal agenda (and what they’ve convinced themselves, are facts), than realizing they’ve been duped and misled. However, it is challenging, for the rest of us, to understand, precisely why!
When the President is polling, with the least favorable numbers, of anyone at this point (6 months in office), and his core followers appear to be the majority of those who still believe in him, there’s something wrong! As George Carlin said, in his famous comedy routine, when we permit certain things, and actions, without questioning, then, The terrorists win!